Did you know that more than one hundred thousand million mites can live in your bed depending on the age of the mattress? Mites are microscopic insects that can inhabit your mattress even if you ventilate and change the sheets regularly. The problem with these small arachnids is that both their feces and those that are already dead are the main focus of allergic reactions and other health problems such as skin conditions, headache, and insomnia.
In addition to these insects, there may also be dirt, bad odors or mold on the mattress, so it is important that we are periodically clean to remove these agents and prevent possible health problems. Therefore, in the following article, we will explain how to disinfect a mattress with a series of methods that you can carry out in your own home. Take note!
How to disinfect a mattress – tips
As we have already advanced, the cleaning and disinfection of the mattress where we rest is a procedure that we should perform with some frequency to prevent the appearance of mold, bad odors and mites. The latter are microscopic arachnids that can inhabit the mattress and cause minor and serious health problems.
To avoid the accumulation of mites, it is important that on one hand, we ventilate the room where we sleep daily and, on the other hand, that we change the sheets of the bed since by having an exoskeleton they can be attached to the mattress clothes. However, even if we carry out these habits, the mites can go through the sheets and be stored in the bed, so it is also recommended that we turn the mattress from time to time and disinfect it even once a month.
You will wonder, then, how to eliminate the mites permanently with disinfection? In the following lines we will explain how to disinfect a mattress with the following home remedies :
- Sodium bicarbonate
How to clean and disinfect a mattress with ammonia
If you wonder how to remove blood stains from the mattress or other dirt debris difficult to remove, ammonia may be the answer you were looking for. Ammonia is a colorless gaseous substance with a strong smell that when dissolved in water is used as a cleaning product due to its great disinfectant and antiseptic power. Ammonia is used both to remove stains caused by juice, blood or other substances and also to prevent the accumulation of mites in the mattress.
If you wonder how to clean a mattress that is very dirty or full of stains that are difficult to remove with ammonia, make sure you have the following products at home:
- Half cup of ammonia.
- 2 Cups of warm water
- Half a cup of hydrogen peroxide: a product that has disinfectant properties that can enhance the effects of ammonia.
- Mask: the mask is very necessary for your safety, as the inhalation of ammonia can cause harmful effects such as the sore throat or eye irritation.
- Gloves: it also cannot come into contact with the skin, as it can cause irritation and itching.
How to clean a mattress with ammonia – step by step
- Put on the mask and gloves and add the ammonia, warm water, and hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
- Remove the ingredients so that they are well mixed.
- Dip a cloth or towel in the solution and rub it on the stains on the mattress.
- Now you will have to pass a sponge wet with cold water on the mattress to remove the product.
- To end the disinfection, you will have to let the mattress dry. If the day is sunny, you can leave it outdoors, but if the weather does not go, you can always use a dryer.
Baking soda to clean and disinfect a mattress
Has the little boy in the house peed on the bed and you don’t know how to clean a urine mattress? Sodium bicarbonate is a highly recommended option for these cases because due to its high content of alkaline compounds it has deodorant properties that remove both the odors that are impregnated on this type of surfaces and the spots produced by vomiting or urine. In addition, bicarbonate is also a very useful home remedy for mattress disinfection since it has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that clean and eliminates bacteria and mites.
To use this product in the mattresses at home you will have to have the following ingredients:
- 250 Grams of sodium bicarbonate.
- 5 Drops of tea tree essential oil: since it is a natural disinfectant that can enhance the effects of bicarbonate against mites and bacteria.
How to clean a mattress with baking soda – step by step:
- Add in a container the amounts of baking soda and tea tree oil listed above. Then, stir the ingredients well so that they are well mixed.
- Now, with the help of a strainer, spread the mixture you just made on one side of the mattress (remember that you must have previously removed all the sheets and clothes).
- Let it act for an hour.
- Meanwhile, spread the mixture on the other side of the mattress and let it act another hour.
- Finally, remove all the dirt that adheres with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
Disinfect a mattress with steam
Steam is one of the most effective methods to eliminate the accumulation of mites and other microorganisms such as fleas or bacteria from your mattress. Due to the high temperatures it reaches, steam is a powerful disinfectant and natural antimicrobial that keeps our mattress of mites, bedbugs, fleas and bacteria clean, making it a great ally to prevent the health problems caused by these microorganisms.
If you want to know how to remove mattress mites as well as other dirt, you must have a vacuum cleaner at home with carpet cleaning accessories and follow these instructions:
- First, you will have to remove the sheets from the bed and wash them in hot water to remove all the mites accumulated in them.
- Then, vacuum the mattress to clean the surface of bacteria and mites that pierced the sheets.
- Then, you will have to place the carpet cleaning accessory in the steam vacuum and add the water indicated on the appliance.
- Once the steam is hot, run the vacuum cleaner on the mattress back and forth for a few minutes.
- Finally, let the mattress dry for 10 hours and then place the sheets clean.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to disinfect a mattress, we recommend that you enter our category of Health and Wellness.