Is it safe to buy from AliExpress, especially if you live in India? What is considered a good reputation on AliExpress?
Think before you do. This is not about how to but Why to.
I am a regular buyer on every platform be it online or offline. I created my account on AliExpress a couple of years ago. And till date I have trading value of about USD 1000 or more which roughly takes you up to INR 67,000 or something.
Till the last order, I had not faced any issues. Being a frequent customer a was given a tier upgrade whenever I accrued points. Yes. That is true. You will be given points based on your activities. That does not mean merely buying. You can earn them by,
- Logging into your account on a daily basis.
- Adding a product to your wish list.
- Saving a store as favourite store.
- Leaving feedback for what you have purchased…etc
- What does that seem like?
- Obviously, so far, so good.
- So, will there be any issues you will have to face?
- Yeah. For sure. You will come to these problems at some point of your buying session. Be it after a day or may be after 1 or 2 years.
- What issue you will have to face?
- Well, let me tell you what happened to me now.
This is the payment confirmation page of AliExpress India. After the processing and verification of amount, you will be prompted about successful payment.
And yes, you can see the amount has been deducted from bank account.
Please note that for International transactions that you perform, (i.e. like in AliExpress) you won’t be required to provide an OTP. So make sure you are not sharing any infos. Regarding your card with anyone. Anyone with your card number, CVV & expiry date can cause you Financial loss.
- So, what happened next??
- After the order within an hour or two, my account was blocked ‘temporarily’. “Temporarily” was a term used by them and it seems to be ‘permanent’ since now it’s been a week or more. You will have to contact them for sure. They will redirect you for a survey. Don’t worry, no miracle will happen. So after this you won’t be able to contact the seller, edit or modify your order or hopelessly anything in your account.
How can you simply blame such an International Tech. Giant without any evident document?
Well, this is for such people who only believes what they see.
- OK. But this only shows that you have to slide and verify.
- Oh, yeah!!! I heard you saying. You said it right. You are indeed a genius. OK let me do that.
Voila!! Kudos my dear, for that. Let’s see what happened next.
- Ouch, that repeated!! Yes it will.
- But don’t worry since some sellers are extremely good on this platform and will send your order without causing you a trouble.
- Now coming to next part, THE GREAT REFUND.
- Don’t even dream of getting your money back. Once you chat with them, they’ll call you “dear, My friend” etc. without meaning a bit of it. They will also say that the refund had been settled from their part. OK then, lets see what bank people has to say. Even for submitting a claim you will have to go through cumbersome procedures. So be prepared for that.
- Just read those written for understanding about refund process.
These Chinese website will ask you for your card image and copy of bank statement for which they say security. If you are really in need of that and can compromise with rest, go on. Feels like they have got some crooked intention because American companies like Amazon or eBay never ask you that.
The payments here (AliExpress) are mostly processed on London or Luxembourg.
So let’s have a review of what we discussed.
Be bold to face the account disabling from their end.
You may hide some numbers of your card so as to remain with peace of mind when uploading sensitive information.
Don’t get your order cancelled. Once placed, wait for its delivery and then sell it to your peers or on local market if you don’t need it any more.
Prefer a courier with tracking information or you are prone to miss your product somewhere. Not all stores charge you for courier with tracking. If you are that rich enough, go for DHL, Fed ex or something.
Look for experienced store with good feedback. Preferably >90%.
So friends, I have made every effort to elucidate my view quoting all the relevant images for your understanding. Just be a bit cautious and happy shopping .